Website: www.agapehouseforgirls.org

"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, . . . He sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners . . . " ~ Isaiah 61:1



Friday, June 10, 2011

Plans to give you hope

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

One of our Students presented her thoughts, as noted below, at our Recognition Ceremony last Thursday about a community service project. Enjoy!

As a Community Service project, we went to Twin Oaks Homeless Shelter in Delavan, Wisconsin. This community service project impacted me the most out of all of them we’ve been to since I’ve been here at Agape in February. At first, I really didn’t want to go. I thought “Uhgg, helping clean a homeless shelter – gross! What’s the point?”. Well, I must be honest with you; when we got back from being at Twin Oaks I thought, “Wow, I really am a selfish person!” I really couldn’t fathom why I thought such mean things about going for only a few hours! I mean, why was I so selfish? I really felt guilty about what I had decided about going in my mind, seeing all of those men, women, children and even infants’ current situations. Who are we to feel needy? We think, “Oh, I just need that new shirt that I saw in my new magazine the other day, or just one more pair of shoes from my favorite store.” Guess what: in reality, you don’t need it!

I think that most people take what we have on this earth for granted. The clothes you are wearing at this moment on your very back may be all a person in poverty or a person in another country may have in their entire wardrobe. I think that most people really need to be in the situation of poverty or hardships such as these to realize all that we do have, and to realize that what God has given you is enough!

You don’t need the “hottest” clothes or the “best” hairstyle to be accepted by who really matters the most, even though it probably won’t seem like all of this is true at the moment. Yeah, it does feel good to be in with the “popular” crowd and I think that most of us can understand that for the most part. You just want to be “accepted”, and “cool”. But, hey, when you really think about it, are the “populars” really popular? Are the “cool” really that cool?

We all know that everybody in this room has had to work through obstacles in their lives even though some may have been harder than others. Many will have more obstacles and troubles to come and others may be experiencing those times right now. That isn’t said to scare you or to worry you at all. There isn’t a reason that I can think of to sugar coat life.

Remember, God has a plan for every one of you. He has put us all here for a very specific reason. You do have a purpose! Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you”, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

We all have a plan. Going to Twin Oaks Homeless Shelter made me see all I really do have from a different point of view. A view that made me appreciate that I have much, much more than I had before. Remember, things could be worse and your life could be much harder. I give you all the challenge of remembering what you do have and learning to appreciate it and be grateful for it if you don’t already because trust me, you will be a much happier person if you value the more important things in your life over material things that you could easily live without. Please keep the people at Twin Oaks Shelter in your prayers.

Prayer Requests:
~ Pray for our Agape Angels to know that God has plans for each one of them.

~ For the girls in Summer School, that they make the most of their time here.

~ For the staff and volunteers here for the summer (school, office work, etc.), for a more relaxed and less—stressful environment to wrap up things from last year, and begin preparations for the upcoming year.

~ For God to bring the right people to Agape House to meet our staffing and volunteer needs for the Fall.


Praise Reports:
~ For the joy of celebrating a year filled with hard work and blessings at our Recognition and Award Ceremony last Thursday evening.

~ For the donation of framing of the girls’ artwork that was displayed by Mark and Nancy Turner.

~ For the 13 Agape Angels who finished the school year at Agape School, as well as our 2nd graduate, Morgan Burger.

~ For the knowledge that we can trust in God with all our hearts that he will direct our paths.


Wish List:
Colored Paper (One ream each of 5 or 6 colors)
Folders (Solid colors)
Highlighters
Illustrated Anatomy and Physiology Book
Scrapbook Albums
Cheese
Yogurt
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Healthy snacks
Mini Van (used and in good shape) - free or very good price
Gas Cards to take the girls to various events in the van
Gift cards for the girls to be able to go to Starbucks, bowling, a movie, or Subway


Ways to Help at this time:

~ Volunteers to do some 'fun' things with the girls through the month of June (during the afternoons when they don't have school).

~ Volunteer needed for art therapy.

~ Volunteer to repair stained glass.

~ Bible Study materials (contact Pam Patterson for details)
~ Sponsor a girl here; we have several girls that come from single parent families that have no money.

~ Provide finances to expand our counseling program. Our goal for 2011 is to open a Christian Biblical-based counseling center that operates on a sliding fee so no one is turned away because of finances. We are looking at renting some space close by so we can have more offices and praying for the funding for the rent and to pay the counselor’s.

~ Looking for the following for Fall 2011: Positions in Classroom, Christian Counselor and Resident Assistant, as well as volunteers for classroom/field trip assistance

Bring in your Campbell’s labels and Box Tops for Education - ask family and friends to help as well.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments: